Sunday, August 31, 2008

Week One under my belt

Having a three day weekend after the first week of school is a gift. We spent the day yesterday at the University football game; today I'll be unearthing my house from a week of utter neglect and I still have tomorrow to play with. (I didn't want to tell you that tomorrow I'll be going in to work on lesson plans and grading and parent phone calls that are due Friday). But hey, at least I'm not doing those things today, along with the housecleaning.

The Munchkin started kindergarten. I've never been a my-child-can-do-no-wrong parent. However, I'm afraid I am guilty of knowing that my child is surely the smartest, most special child in the class. I'm sure Mrs. B can just see the parental love radiating from him when he's standing among his peers. I wonder if all parents feel this way. I guess I should make my parent phone calls extra positive this week.

I am thrilled to be teaching fifth graders. I did my time in second grade last year in order to get a job close to home and this first week back with older kids has completely reaffirmed that I am an intermediate teacher at heart. I decided to focus hard on procedures the first two weeks of school--sharpening pencils, formatting math homework, writing journal entries, even how to stand up and push in your chair. I figure if I take care of all the piddly crap these two weeks, then I can spend the rest of the year just teaching. This seems like a really neat group of kids. I think it's going to be a great year.

I guess I can't put off the housework any longer. Thanks for reading my blog. I enjoy your comments. (Come on--don't make me cry when I check my blog and see yet another post with "0 comments." Okay, shameless comment begging complete. Have a great long weekend!

1 comment:

ms-teacher said...

yes, we do think that our kid is special. Of course, this is made more difficult when you have more than one :)

It sounds like you had a good first week. Enjoy your kindergartner because before you know it, he'll be a teen. That's when the real fun begins!