Monday, July 21, 2008

Here, let me help

At the park today I met a fellow Mom and while we were watching the kids, we got to talking about her fifteen year-old daughter. "She is really behind in math because of a sort-of disability she had when she was younger, though she tries so hard," this Mom said. She is worried about her going to high school next year.

I was doing dishes tonight and worrying about this kid. That's part of the curse blessing of being a teacher--that when you have a free minute, you often end up contemplating any of your 25 other kids. I was also thinking about Mary Alice's recent post about serving the people in our own communities. I thought, why can't I just take a couple hours out of my week to tutor her? It's not like I don't have time this summer. I mean, come on--I spent 15 straight minutes thinking about bugs in my garden this morning.

Anyway, I decided to offer to tutor her daughter. I typed her an email real quick and sent it before I could talk myself out of it. I really hope she takes me up on it because I think I could get this kiddo out of basic math by the end of the summer.

There have been other times when I've wanted to offer my help by tutoring but I just didn't do it. I'm not sure if I'm afraid I wouldn't do a good job (which seems silly, even as I'm typing it) or if I'm afraid of being turned down. That's probably what it is. I don't want this mom to think I'm creepy for offering semi-long-term help to someone I don't even know. As I'm heading into my 30's, though, I think it would behoove me to quit worrying so much about how other people see me. I think it would also do me some good to give back to the people in my community. Thus far, the extent of my community service has been to call and have Good Will come pick up the crap I didn't sell in the yard sale. They're nominating me for an award for that awesome gesture.

Anyway, I hope I hear back from this Mom. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for reading my blog!

No comments: